Sunday 11 September 2011

On this Day...

September 11, 2001, is a day which will resound through history, it is the 'day of infamy' of our generation.

No one will forget where they were when the attacks happened - I was in a meeting at work, which was eventually postponed so that we could go for security briefings (I worked for a defence manufacturing company at the time).  I remember watching the news on the big TV in the foyer in a stunned silence, unable, and perhaps unwilling, to believe what I was seeing.

It's no secret that I am a huge fan of the US. I love visiting the US, I had a long relationship with an American girl (who is also the only one of my exes I'm still on speaking terms with), if I though I could get a visa, I'd be on a plane tomorrow.  I remember watching the news feeling in turns sad, angry, disbelieving, incredulous, a whole tumult of emotions. I knew lots of Americans, both through work, and socially, and I knew that no matter what I felt, I wouldn't be feeling a fraction of what they were going through.

It doesn't seem like 10 years ago - I remember the feelings I had driving home, I remember thinking that the world had changed.

I'm not the worlds greatest poet, I'm not even average, I'm poor at best, but every now and again, I get the desire to write something.  I've created a little tribute to the victims of that terrible day.  I wish it were better, a better and more fitting tribute to them, but sadly, my meagre talents prevent it being so.  Nonetheless, I want to give it, regardless of it's poor standard, on this day, I feel it's important to show any tribute to them.

We turn our eyes unto the heavens 
Our thoughts out to the stars
We turn our memories to who were lost
Our anger at the scars
At 8:46, the world did change

The horror played out on TV 
But some how not yet real 
Our souls filled with the eerie sound 
Of silence after destruction's peal 
At 9.03, the world did change

Reality returns, we realise what's seen 
So we stood in awe, and we stood in fear 
We asked ourselves 'why'
Thinking of those that we hold dear 
At 9.37, the world did change

We will not forget them 
Though we may not know their names 
Honour the sacrifice of all those who 
Stood tall and railed against the flames 
At 9.59, the world did change

The darkness of the world unleashed 
The evil that men do 
But a nation great was so misjudged 
For pride and courage were born anew 
At 10.03, the world did change

2977 lives were lost 
2977 no longer see the morn' 
2977 stars new in the sky 
2977 angels born 
At 10.28, the world did change

10 years have passed, both quick and slow 
What was seen that day, never forgot 
The rending of our innocence 
We'd turn back time, but we cannot 
On 9/11, the world did change
 They won't be forgotten. My thoughts to them. My thoughts to the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment