Sunday 17 April 2011

It had to happen sometime...

Hi.

Every journey, we are told, starts with a single step. Every book with a single letter, every song with a single note, and every clichéd blog with something as hackneyed as “every journey starts with a single step’.

I have decided to blog. I’m not going to lie, I will do so continually at first, and then sporadically, and then intermittently, eventually going down to hardly ever. This won’t be a reflection on you, dear readers (all none of you), instead is a reflection on the way I am. I start out with great ideas, focus on them for a while, and then something else takes their place. A prime example of this is ‘Pope Shug’, a short story I was writing.  Well, still am writing. Sometimes. I’ve only shared it with a couple of friends thus far, all three of whom thought it was funny (which is the point!) although I think my American friend would have read it with a lot of puzzlement on her face (there is a lot of Scottish colloquialism (a word which makes me thankful for spellcheck! Oooh, nested parentheses, neat!) and West Coast themed profanity. As another aside, you will eventually get used to the fact that I am, actually incapable of writing anything without resorting to parentheses all over the place. Sorry about that.). But, it’s a case in point of how my mind works. I went at it hammer and tongs for a few days, then pretty much neglected it.  I will go back to it at some point. I will probably put what I’ve written on my blog page at some point soon, just for the hell of it!

Anyway, why have I decided to blog? Well, I have lots of thoughts going through my head at any given time, some of them may even be vaguely interesting. Rather than losing them altogether, I thought I would commit some to the ethereal wonder that is the World Wide Web. Not all of them, some of the thoughts I have are so mundane even I don’t care about them, some are to personal for me to share, some are too sensitive to share (in terms of they relate to someone else, and I wouldn’t betray a trust placed upon me, not only because it would break my own moral code, but because I wouldn’t want anyone else being able to figure anything else out about anyone else based on what I said. Does that even make sense?), some of it will hopefully be thought provoking, hopefully some of it will inspire laughter, some may inspire reflection. Most, I fear, will inspire absolutely nothing.

So, what will I write about first. Shall I go into detail about installing a burglar alarm in my flat today? No, that would very much fall into the ‘too mundane to inspire anything other than “wow, this is mundane, let’s see if I can find an interesting blog instead” (apart from the fact my stepladder and my head were introduced to each other in a distinctly percussive manner – don’t drape the cable for the drill you are using over a step in the stepladder (which wasn’t being used as it traditionally is, it was kept closed and just propped against the wall so I could drill the holes for the brackets for the siren), then dismount from said stepladder, catching the cable with your foot, and pulling the ladder and causing the aforementioned cranial impact. Oh, and another thing you will notice about me, I like arcane language. I’m not trying to be a language snob, or elitist, anything like that, I genuinely enjoy using that kind of language, I think English is a fascinating tongue, but I’m sure that will be covered more fully at a later time. I’m sure by this point you have also figured out that I go off on tangents quite a lot. When I say ‘quite a lot’ I do of course mean, all the time).  Crikey, even by my standards, that was one hell of a sidestep!

Back on track then. Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, I wish to talk about the Moon. Why? Because I’m sitting at my computer desk, listening to music on my headphones (Coheed and Cambria for those who like details) with the TV on in the background (Air Crash Investigation – one I’ve seen before), which incidentally used to drive my mother mad when I lived at home, especially because most of the time I was also lying on my bed reading) and I can see the full moon through the blind. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve had a fascination with the Moon. Back then, I’d sometimes disappear into the forest which backed on to my parents house (it was a more innocent time then!) because in the middle was a hill in a clearing, there was no light pollution, so I could set up my little telescope and watch the Moon and the stars. As I got older that fascination never left me. Even today, on nights like this, I look at the Moon and have the same sensation of awe and wonder that I did when I was a kid. Looking at the Moon always helps me put things in perspective. No matter what is going on in my life, be they positive or negative, the Moon still gives me pause to think, actually, to reflect, more than just think, upon whatever is going on and make me decide if it really is such a big deal. Sometimes it is a big deal, sometimes it is not.  The Moon also makes me think about people, be they people in my life at the moment, people I miss (such as my late father), or people I wish I was watching the moon with. The last thought is generally the one which makes me the most reflective. I think there is something hopelessly romantic about the Moon, that the splendour of that distant glowing orb in the sky is only really fully appreciated when it’s being shared with someone.

So, with that thought ladies and gentlemen I will conclude my debut blog, with a request. If you have someone special in your life, someone you love, someone you miss, someone you want to make up with, look at the Moon. Together. It makes a difference.

Oh, and I promise – my blog will get better with time!

No comments:

Post a Comment